Monday, April 26, 2010

Veggie chicken nuggets

So today after I got home from the gym I started on making my lunch for the next day. I wanted to make something healthy but something different. I was at the grocery store earlier and wanted nothing more than to buy some chicken nuggets. However as I am trying to eat as healthy as possible I decided not to buy any of the chicken nuggets at the store because they all had ingredients in it that I couldn't pronounce. Jamie Oliver! You changed my life! So I decided to make my own chicken nuggets. I wanted to make sure they were healthier than usual so I decided to add vegetables in them.

Ingredients list:

2 chicken breasts cubed ground
1 clove of garlic
1 head of broccoli ground
1 cup of carrots ground
1/2 small onion
salt pepper
2 eggs (less one yolk)
2 teaspoons mustard
1/2 cup flour (add more for desired consistency)
all these ingredients blended together until the consistency of thick oatmeal

1 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
coat chicken strip sized pieces in flour mixture

Heat in 425 F for 30 minutes.
turn over half way through



I think if I added some orange juice to the chicken with some orange zest it would taste much better. Plus for the coating next time I would use bread crumbs.

So far I like this recipe and I will try others such as spinach nuggets with flour and egg coated in breadcrumbs or Kellogg flakes. Just some ideas for now.

No comments: