Saturday, August 22, 2015

Thrifting... My love and obsession

I have a new obsession. Well... Not new. I've been thrifting for kitchenware and knick knacks for many years now but i usually zone in on a particular type of collectible at a time. Once upon a time it was antique tea ware. It took me years to collect enough beautiful teacups to the point that I can't imagine any other addition making much of a difference. So now I'm onto to vintage milk glass. This includes mainly Pyrex but I do collect random milk glass kitchen pieces from  other manufacturers. I also collect milk glass vases. I really do love and cherish each piece I have. I also love the history behind it all. I love the how vintage items have lived past their prime and are still in tip top condition. I also love the craftsmanship and thought put into the pieces. They are not your ordinary white porcelain or glass bowl or plate. There was some love out into those dishes. 

Today's post is a special post on thrifting strAnge I sometimes encounter. There are so many odd and sometimes ugly things found at the thrift store. Things thT make you question why anyone would buy it or why the store decided to sell it at a price that didn't seem reasonable. 

I love finding the thrift stranges. Here are some. 

Ugly trivets... It's rare to see a trivet but today I spotted two. This one was particularly ugly. I'm sure it was of some past contemporary design where everyone had metal flower decals on cups, plates, wine glasss... 

The second strange trivet spotted...

Cast iron dog trivet. Craiglist add placement: must love dogs lol. So unusual for a kitchen piece 


Creepy figurines are another thing common to thrifting. Today I gather a collection of creepy figurines for a horrifying display. 

Stand cats with feather head dresses. Two figurines with bleeding black eyes. Creepy clown and creepy old lady. How long has that clown been in that bag?? Brrr.  Last but not least giant rooster with gawking eyes. This picture deserves a zoom in. 


I think the most frightening item at the shop today was a handmade mask. Looked like a school project gone wrong. Such things were not meant for the thriftstore. The mom who donated it should have kept it packed away in a box and burried in an attic so that future home owners would have a good scare while riffling through things left behind. Cliche horror story moment.  



Why did someone price that at $2.99??? It's so scary.

Some interesting finds at the store today. 
Here's a quick overview. 
Large glass bead pineapple???

Dog calender. I think this is actually pretty cool. They should combine it with the trivet and other dog paraphenalia and make a doggy basket with it.  

Yet another pineapple but this time made with paper. Next to it is a beautiful metal and wood box made in India. I really liked it but have no use for it. 
Mason jar wine glass!!! From Bubbagumps too!  People be swipin from the dining table. 

Last but not least... Totally cute vintage teapots. I did not bring anything home today but it sure was a fun spread. 


Daily thrifting leads to great rewards. 
Soon to come... Some of my favourite thrifted items. 

Peace out! 

No comments: