Tuesday, June 8, 2010

First taste of water kefir

So the brew I made this week was the typical first brew brew. It had 1/3 cup of cane sugar, with 4 cups of liquid and about 1/2 a cup of kefir grains. I also added a teaspoon of unsulphured black strap molasses and some eggshell. I also added one fig. I covered my jar up with a cheese clothe and wrapped an elastic band around that.

That was many days ago. And two days ago I strained the water kefir and bottled it. I left it on my counter airtight, almost* full to the brim and waited. The bottle kinda bulged a bit and I could tell it had carbonated nicely. So this morning I chilled it. I came home directly after work and was sooo excited to try it out!

Basically within several minutes I felt a bit woozy and my tummy felt warm, plus I burped a lot. It tasted slightly sweet and was quite carbonated but not like pop. The bubbles seemed more fine. I think the alcohol content kinda surprised me. Perhaps it fermented for too long? It was still good but I don't want to be knocked out every time I drink it. I would consider it a success. I can't wait till I have a big supply. I hope I don't get fat drinking this!

Secondly, my kefired almond milk was ready this morning. I bottled it up for extra fermentation. However, when I got home I took a taste of it and I didn't enjoy it all very much. Instead, I mixed it with my kefir milk that was going through a secondary fermentation as well. I added some cinnamon and orange peel. I saw a recipe like that online somewhere. I hope that turns out well. I think I'll ferment it for 4 days. I notice that since I've started using the cheese cloth to cover my milk kefir brews that there has been more carbonation. I'm hoping that the secondary fermentation will increase that greatly. I definitely notice a much more mild taste, which is good. I will conquer this!

And update on the scoby, so far I have not heard from the scoby man on craigslist. Hopefully soon.

No comments: