Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My favourite kefir recipes

Water kefir:
Brew plain for 2 days, ferment for 12 hours in bottles 1/2 water kefir and 1/2 pomegranate juice. YUM!!!

Milk Kefir: This one takes 4-5 days to make.
2 parts milk kefir, one brew per day. I like to brew a sweeter and milder milk kefir.
1 part coconut milk kefir
1 part almond milk kefir

I make them in that order and it takes 4 days total to make the main ingredients. While the other kefirs are waiting on the current ones brewing they are fermenting in a glass jar out of the fridge with orange peel and cinnamon powder.

I ferment for one more day to get it nice and fizzy. Watch out for that coconut milk kefir. It gets really frothy. It has pushed the lid off my jar more than once but it makes for a super creamy delicous drink. The almond milk gives it a more robust, nutty flavour and goes well with the cinnamon and the orange peel. The milk is just the base and the loaded nutrients. Makes for a savory, yummy treat. I really love this drink.

No comments: