Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It worked.

So today I checked the milk kefir I had sealed in a glass jar for it's secondary fermentation and guess what???? Bubbles!!! It was also quite sour so I decided to throw in the towel for now. I bottled it up and then placed it in the fridge for cooling. It will continue to ferment a bit but much more slowly. It has a nice flavour. I mixed the almond kefir and milk kefir together so it has a slightly nutty taste. However, I can't tell if that was due to the orange peel and cinnamon I added. I bottled another bottle of milk kefir today for secondary fermentation. I only put a stick of cinnamon in the bottle. Let's see what it tastes like.

On that note, my water kefir has definitely multiplied but the sugar crystals are quite small. Looks like they are breaking or shrinking. So today, instead of using cane sugar, I used sucanat sugar. Apparently it has much more calcium for the grains to build their body up. I also started using goat milk today for my milk kefir. I hope it will make my grains big and healthy. I tasted some of the goat milk before I put it in. First off, it was weird when I opened the bottle as there were curds or clumps of fat floating up at the top. The clumps looked every much like goat cheese. When I poured it out more clumps came out, but not as big and chunky. I was afraid to taste it as I imagined liquefied goats cheese but in fact it was not. The goats milk was quite sweet and delicious. It had a teeny tiny gamey after taste. I'm not sure if I could drink it all the time but I think the gamey taste would disappear with the kefiring process. If it didn't have that slight gamey after taste I would prefer it to cow milk. Apparently, goat milk is way better for you than cow milk and more people in the world drink goats milk than cows milk.

I really love experimenting with all these foods. I feel like a fermenting scientist!

No comments: