Thursday, June 10, 2010

goats milk is not for me.

So today I strained the goats milk kefir. The grains did look extra happy, a little plumper and slimier, however, I couldn't stand the taste or smell.

It's not very noticeable right at first, but the aftertaste is similar to goats cheese and I can't have that! I do have to say the kefir looked much nicer. It was a nice smoothy creamy looking consistency where as the cows milk kefir looks a bit more grainy. The goats milk kefir is also less sour. I just can't stand the goaty taste. So I had to pour the milk down the drain as I knew there was no way I could stomach that whole half litre. I also had to rinse my utensils and jars really well because the goats milk was so fatty. It seems to leave an oily film behind. Now I know, I will probably never buy goat milk again. I will still eat goat cheese though. I do like that.

Also I noticed a difference with my kefir since I've been brewing it differently. When the jar lid is on tight, I get no bubbles, and a very thick and sour kefir. It's a good consistency with a very nice aftertaste. When I put a cheese cloth over the lid and brew for the same amount of time, the curds and whey don't separate as much, resulting in a much milder, thinner, but slightly carbonated kefir. When I do a secondary fermentation I get nice fine bubbles like champagne. Wow! Like a little party in the mouth for sure. Lastly, the tastiest kefir I've made is a combo of almond and cows milk kefir, that was mixed together, and went through a secondary fermentation with some cinnamon powder and dehydrated orange peel. Yumo! Definitely sour but also delicious! I will always do a secondary fermentation with the milk kefir for at least two days now and I'll try other ingredients to it. I like!!!

No comments: