Thursday, November 12, 2015

Art is a meditation

I've been drawing a lot lately and have created a goal for myself. Aside from the enjoyable nature of drawing I also like the challenge. Lately, with all those zen doodling I've come up with some rules that came from nowhere. 

1) all free hand with pen, no pencil
2) start with a small and random doodle and see what you can turn it into. 
3) when a mistake occurs one must include the mistake in the plan even if it means a new plan 
4) no scrapping art work. Must finish all work until satisfied 


So, obviously, following my normal pattern of behaviour this has become an obsessive activity. But I like the challenge. 

In most situations drawing keeps me extremely present. I don't think about anything else. I also get extremely inspired but the inspiration is all internal. I draw for myself and not for others and in that I have learned to appreciate my ability to draw. I recognize I am not the best or most creative in the entire world but I can now appreciate the enjoyment I get from it, and also allow myself to feel proud of my creations. 

If I can learn to live life with those same principles applied to all things,not just drawing, what would life be like? 

Art is a way towards inner peace. It's a meditation.

My work today minus one. 

Today's work turned out to be more simple and with a lot of soft curves. 

No comments: