Saturday, November 7, 2015

Happy Birthday Medicine Buddha!

Today is Medicine Buddha's birthday. I celebrated at Bodhi Meditation Center in Richmond. It was a 3 hour ceremony. There were many familiar faces from the retreat as well as familiar faces from all the activities I've attended. The ceremony was lead by master Judy. They had member share stories of how meditation helped them and encouragement to continue the practice. We chanted together and gave thanks together. I forgot how powerful it is when a large group chants in unison. The mantra tunes of the Buddha's are so ethereal sounding. It's hard not to feel something.

There were hundreds of people there today. We all had lunch and cake there. I was grateful to be part of such an amazing community. It reminds me to continue my practice. Happy Birthday Medicine Buddha. Thank you for all the compassion you have given me and all the teachings I've received by you through others.

Today they gave everyone a personal blessing by a Guanyin statue that was won at an auction many years ago. The story is that Master Bodhi had this statue in his hands and at a retreat he asked everyone if they wanted to see a miracle occur. He covered the statue's face and slowly began to lift his hand off of her face. The crowd saw the statue's eyes, which were closed,  slowly lift as if it were waking up. Everyone was astounded. He said that was a lesson to the disciples that anything is possible. When I had my Medicine Buddha statue blessed by Thrangu Rinpoche one of my teachers said that the spirit of the Buddha lives in the statue now. It's a living entity. That Guanyin statue went missing years ago. Perhaps the living spirit inside the statue needed to be elsewhere. No one knew where it had gone. Some people speculated that Master Jin Bodhi had taken it with him on his travels however no one was brave enough to ask him. Weeks before today's ceremony they had found this Guanyin statue with the open eyes in a cabinet that had, to everyone's memory, been empty for the longest time. When they found the statue they were so happy. It was the return of the spirit. They brought it into the great hall and a large group of people chanted to it. It was reported that day a double rainbow appeared in the sky over the meditation center in Richmond. The centered believed that on Medicine Buddha's birthday Guanyin had returned to also give a blessing. We were lucky enough to be blessed with a sprinkling of water from a Guanyin bamboo shoot just before walking underneath statue. It's hard not to look at those eyes when you bow at her.

I know the story sounds fantastical but I would like to believe what I hear from this community is true. All their intentions have only seemed to be of compassion and caring. They never ask for anything. They just want you to meditate and be happy. I am so grateful for their service. I had taken something away with from my 8.5 day retreat that I didn't have before and that was compassion towards my parents. I have always loved them very much but it was often a frustrating relationship for me. However, going to Bodhi really helped me bring my love out for them, appreciate them and for that I am ever grateful because that's what I wanted. I have so much more to learn...but thank you Medicine Buddha, Guan Yin, Master Jin Bodhi and the community at Bodhi Meditation for their amazing contribution to society.

No comments: