Thursday, January 21, 2016

The best Half and Half substitute for your coffee!

Recently I watched Dr. Oz and they were talking about nut milks as good substitutes for the cream in your coffee if you want a healthier lifestyle. What I liked about his advice was about what kind of milk to use for what type of coffee. For instance, for lattes he suggested cashew milk, iced coffee -almond milk and for any coffee which required half and half he suggested coconut milk for the same satisfying qualities. I have tried all these milks in the past and didn't enjoy them with my coffee but it reminded me of how I should look for a better alternative because I drink sooooo much half and half. Two days ago I made several different recipes with cashews, coconut butter and hemp. Nothing tasted good. The cashews were too thick and cashew and I didn't like the coconut milk at all. The last thing, hemp milk, was good but had a grassy taste to it which I did not prefer. I decided to mix them together. With a combo of cashew cream and hemp milk it was nearly a perfect substitute for half and half. The more cashew cream I mixed with the hemp the richer the taste. The less cashew cream, the more it tastes like milk.

Here is my recipe...

Hemp milk
1/2 cup dehulled hemp seeds
3 cups of water
pinch of sea salt
1-2 dates (depending on how sweet you like things)
half teaspoon vanilla extract

-blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender until it resembles milk.. don't even need to strain. Chill and serve


Cashew cream:

1/2 raw cashews ( I don't soak mine)
1 cup water

Blend until a smooth consistency is formed

mix the two together to make the perfect consistency for your coffee.



I personally enjoy drinking about a tablespoon of cashew cream with the 2 cups of hemp milk and drink it straight up. Very tasty and nourishing!

No comments: