Saturday, June 22, 2013

Another beautiful Saturday... go find something to do!


 Hello everyone! The forecasts for this weekend was all about sunshine and heat. When I woke up this morning it was cloudy and gray outside. However, after lunch the sun came out so yay!!! I have a fun update for you guys about the awesome Saturday we got today. But... first... sometimes I forget to mention something awesome I experienced the wee before so  I am going to squeeze in a restaurant I went to last weekend that didn't make it in to last weekend's post. I went out for ramen with some friends and we tried a place off Robson called Marutama Ramen.  My friend, Elaine, really wanted to try as she had heard good things about it. I never say no to ramen so I was happy to try yet another ramen restaurant downtown. It was a very small restaurant. Interesting thing to mention about this place is that they serve you cold tea. I was wondering what the purpose of this was as it's very unusual but after eating the ramen I got it. You feel very steamed when you are eating a hot bowl of noodles. The cold tea really cools you down. There wasn't much on the menu except for different types of ramen. Most was made with the same chicken based stock. I had the most basic dish.





The ramen is handmade and thinner than most other ramen that I have tried. The soup is thick and a little creamy. It's quite oily and salty but it was very savoury. It is garnished with some green onions and seaweed. It came with some pork slices and a soft boiled marinated egg.


Everyone I went with went nuts over the egg. They thought it was delicious. I liked it too. The egg white had some flavour I couldn't put my finger on. The yolk was salty and very creamy tasting. I liked the broth and seaweed combo. I liked putting a little bit of seaweed on every spoonful of noodle.  They are well known for the broth and I liked it. It was a bit different from the other soups which seem to be more pork based. I was happy with my meal but I have to say I didn't feel very good after the meal though. I was very bloated. Maybe too much salt or msg?

On Tuesday I decided to go to Lynn Valley Park. It's a nature area in North Vancouver that has a suspension bridge and a canyon with some water running through it. I don't exactly know what the geological structures are but it is very beautiful there. I haven't been there in several  years but the weather was good and I was close by. Nature was calling me. There were plenty of other people walking through the trails there. I started by the suspension bridge. The suspension bridge overlooks this beautiful rushing waterfall.


Walking through the trails I got to the water canyon area. I was only wearing flip flops so I couldn't get too close. The water pool is mostly green. It's quite majestic. This is a smaller pool of water. It looks very misleading though as I believe the water is probably quite deep. There have been some people who have lost their lives playing around in the water in Lynn Canyon. I remembered that they said by the waterfall there was a very strong undertow current. The water is also super deep in some areas. Always respect nature.





I love moss.


Today we went for a walk by West Dyke Trail in Richmond. It's adjacent to Sturgeon Banks and full of wild life. According to some plaque it was home to loads of migratory birds, ducks and loons. There is a bird symphony when you go there. While we were walking along the trail below we noticed a coyote walking along the grass along side us a little further out. He stopped and watched us for a little bit. Maybe he was hungry.


There are many bushes and flowers everywhere. One bush had these interesting tomato like bulbs. I think they turn into a giant pink flower that looks very much like a rose as there were some flowers sharing that same bush. Tomato octopus?


The trail leads all the way to Steveston but that would be a 3 hour walk. We decided to head back to the car and drive to Steveston. We went to the marina were you can buy live fish, shrimp and other seafood right from the fishermen. They had a sale for fresh sea urchin: 5 for 10 dollars! I bought sea urchin from the marina before so I knew better. It's a dirty job opening up a sea urchin! The docks were beautiful in the light.



We also stopped by this ice creamery. I usually don't like ice cream but I saw an interesting flavour and I had to try it! Black Licorice! It was good! I ended up getting three tiny scoops of icecream: back licorice, maple walnut and cookies and cream. I finished it all and I never finish my ice cream. Highly recommended!!! They are also coming up with flavours that reflect the characters from the TV show "Once Upon A Time" because it's filmed in Steveston. All the flavours are named after characters and are also flavoured according to their personalities. I must go back and try them when they start selling them :)

For dinner we went to the Crab King. It's right next to Pajo's. Wasn't feeling much like fish and chips so we tried this place. I ordered the seafood salad. It comes with crab and tiger prawns.



Pretty good!

After dinner we went for a walk around Gary Point. I remember coming here when I was in high school for bonfires. No more bonfires allowed now though, but still was nice to be back. I found a booey that drifted onto shore.


It turned out to be such a nice day! It's the 2nd day of summer. I love summer!

No comments: