Monday, June 24, 2013

Concerts, cows and Dosas! Yes, they do have something in common and that's me!

This Sunday was supposed to be awesome weather. I had made plans with my coworkers to walk the seawall and check out the Jazz Fest. It was the last day and the headliner was a band I discovered this year called The Harpoonist and the Axe Murderer. They are a two man band but they play loud and are super fun to watch. I saw them earlier this year at a Current Swell show at the Commodore and a couple of months later at their own show at the Biltmore. If you ever get a chance to see them I highly recommend you checking them out. They are local from Vancouver.

Sunday, before meeting up with coworkers, I had lunch with a friend. We went to Burgoo on Main. I haven't been to this place for so long. I wanted the fondue which I remember enjoying but I saw someone ordering a grilled cheese sandwich and we decided to get that and share it.







I wanted the grilled cheese because it had some extra crusty cheese over the bread and not just in the bread. The crazy thing about this meal was that it came with 2 grilled cheese sandwiches. It was super crusty and gooey with loads of cheese. I don't know how someone can order this for themselves.  It was way too much and greasy! It was good for the first couple of bites and then you start feeling sick.  I love grilled cheese sandwiches and this one did taste good but as far as comfort food goes, you don't feel so comfortable after eating it.

We also ordered the hummus which was also coated in oil. I think Burgoo just isn't my kind of restaurant. The place is all about comfort food but maybe they can make it less rich? What is the definition of comfort food? I thought it was just food from your childhood memories. To me, Burgoo is like comfort food with a couple of tablespoons of oil poured on top. I find it extremely greasy. It is super busy most of the time. There is definitely a market for it.

As the day went on, the weather started to get worse. Friends seemed to not want to go to the show as much anymore and some weren't feeling well. We cancelled the seawall and concert. I was a bit disappointed but I thought "no big deal". However, as the day went on, I got more and more restless. I wanted to do something and some of my friends were going to the Greek Festival. Instead of going with them I decided to check out the Jazz fest on my own. I have never gone to a concert by myself before but it wasn't so bad! I had such a good time! The band was great as usual and they had a guest and some musicians in the background playing instruments. Wonderful show! It was raining a little bit but it was in a nice and refreshing way. I am so glad I went.



This photo was from the show at the Biltmore in April.


This was from the Jazz Fest.

After the show I decided to drive through Stanley Park. If I could go to the Jazz Fest on my own, I thought I'd complete the whole day on my own and finish it off with all I had planned to do.  Here are some shots of the light house and the sulfur pile.





It was nice even though it was sprinkling a little. Sometimes you just gotta do what is in your heart.

Monday rolls along and I go back to West Dyke Trail.  There is a section there with cows and I really wanted to take a photo of the cows. They were extremely close to the boardwalk so I was able to inch up closely to them and take a photo. I learned that cows are nervous animals. They watch you carefully as you come up close to them and when you get too close they run. The whole herd will go along. They galloped through the wet grass and splashed through the ditches. I've never seen cows gallop before. They move very much like horses.







I love cows... those cows were weird... they have a white band in the middle. I have never seen cows like that before.

It was $5.99 dosa day again at House of Dosas and my friends had made plans to eat there for dinner. We got there at 6 and it didn't take too long to get a table. I guess right before 6pm is a good time to get a table before dinner because after that the place was PACKED!

We ordered an appetizer this time to go along with our super cheap meal. The picture below is of veggie pakoras. I don't remember where it was that I had the best pakoras of my life but ever since that time all other pakoras just don't taste good. These ones were okay. They seemed like they had too much chickpea batter. I prefer more veggies. They were also slightly spicy. The chutney had a slight licorice taste to them.



This time around I didn't get the usual dosa (which is the tube shaped one). I ordered a rava dosa. I noticed a difference between the two dosas aside from the shape. First of all, the batter is different. The usual dosa batter is slighty sour and tastes similar to McDonald's french fries. The rava dosa is more bland. I did not notice a sour taste at all. I really liked the sour taste of the tube shaped dosa. The texture is different as well. The usual dosa is smooth and flat. This one is bumpy, has holes, thicker and rough. I thought the rava was crispier but it was also greasier. Some parts were fried throughout especially the edges. I will order the tube shaped one next time but I'm glad I tried the rava.

To get some perspective it doesn't look as big as the tube shaped dosa but it is still very filling. I finished probably less than 1/3 of this.


Rainy Monday adventures... I am going to stay in tomorrow and clean the house!

No comments: