Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A weekend of food

When my sister comes home for the weekend she wants to eat out for every meal. We always go with her because Vancouver has awesome food and we feel bad for her.
This Victoria Day long weekend we went to a number of different restuarants. I have highlighted my favourite dishes from these tasty places.


Red Star Seafood Restuarant.
We came here for dim sum. If you ever have a chance to come here take a chance on these dishes. I love them.




Prawn spring rolls: super crispy on the outside and juicy shrimp on the inside. A must try!




Roasted BBQ duck: this duck is exceptional. I don't know why but it just tastes better than the other BBQ ducks at Chinese restuarants. There is a very deep rich flavour.




Fish rice roll? This is my favourite dish here. It's a rice roll with fish paste wrapped with deep fried bean curd sheets on the inside. So many different flavours and textures all in one bite!


Hoi Tong in Richmond is an award winning establishment. I don't know the exact type of Asian cuisine it reflects but it's good. There is an air of bad service though and it's also a very small restuarant so it can feel quite cramped.
These are my favourite dishes from Hoi Tong.




Fish Maw soup: it's a bit orange because I like to add red vinegar to mine. It has a lot of fish maw which is why I like it.




Deep fried and stir fried sole: two different ways of cooking one fish. You get the soft delicate texture of carefully stir fried sole and also the awesome crispness of deep fried sole. The deep fried portion is so fried it tastes like you are eating sole chips.




Bitter melon omlette: this is an award winning dish. I never like bitter melon but when I ate this I changed my mind. There was so much bitter melon in each bite of the fluffy omlette but none of it was distasteful. Maybe it was because the melon was sliced so thinly or it was just seasoned well. It tastes so simple but addictive. It's a must try! Don't try to recreate it at home either. It won't be the same.



Double Happiness is another restuarant we went to. It's a Chinese style fast food restuarant. Everything here is usually good but that's because it's loaded with msg. If you feel like eating msg do come here.
These are the things you should try.




Yes, we do order a lot. Their ground beef congee is excellent. Chinese calamari and deep fried wontons are awesome. Don't be afraid to try something a little different and go for the deep fried daikon cake too. Yum yum!!!

On Victoria Day I went downtown with some friends to walk the seawall. But since everyone was aching from rock climbing or myself aching from wiping out on my bike we ended up eating and shopping. Maybe next week we will do the sea wall rather than flaking out.

I love heading downtown. One of the reasons is because of Mom's Grilled Cheese. The sandwiches are always grilled so perfectly.

Here is the cart.



Here is the grilled cheese four of is shared.



It's a pepper jack with tomato and half bacon sandwich. Half bacon because we were with a vegetarian but I actually prefer it without bacon.

We also went to the art gallery for coffee. It's the first time being there but it's such a nice place to sit and get a drink. I ordered a peach and cherry flan.


It was too sweet but I don't like desserts so they are always too sweet for me. It just looked really good. I wouldn't recommend it. But if you have a major sweet tooth it might just be the thing for you!


No comments: