Monday, May 27, 2013

House of Dosas!!! Woah baby!!!!

Today was a crazyyyy day! I was running from place to place and was exhausted. Let me just give you a run down. After work, I went to my second job. After my second job I had to go to run to the grocery store to get groceries for my lunch! After that I had to run to my uncles house to run an errand. After my errand I met up with a friend for dinner. When I came home I started making my lunch. Then I took my shower and did some trip planning with my friend. The conclusion is that I am going to Chicago in a month! Woot! I can't wait. Soon this blog will have a review on deep dish pizza because I HAVE TO TRY THAT! Now it's 9:00 pm and I can finally relax. I like busy days! Being busy is good.

Tonight, I went to dinner with an old friend that I haven't seen for several months. We went to House of Dosas on Kingsway and Knight. It is at 1391 Kingsway to be exact. I've been to this place before but never on a Monday! Some highlights of this place are that the staff are super friendly, the place is open 24 hours and dosas are pretty cool things. On Mondays dosas are even better because they are only $5.99. That's right! $5.99!!! I paid for my dinner with the change in my purse. Woot!

What is a dosa? It is a basically a chickpea flour based super thin crepe that is rolled up with some curry inside. They give you three dipping sauces. The red one is spicy, the white one is made with coconut and the one in the middle is perplexing. I'm not sure if it's a sauce or a soup, but it's super spicy.

The most obvious thing about a dosa is that it's GIGANTIC!!! Mine looks bigger than my friends but that's only because she started eating hers first. I ordered a dosa called paper masala with veggies.  It has an assortment of vegetables including potatoes, cauliflower, peas and a yellow colored curry. It's very good and spicy. The wrap itself is very crispy. It's thinner than a crepe but in some parts it has the same thickness of a crepe and when you eat those parts it tastes a little tangy. I love it! I dipped the crepe in the sauces they gave us and it tasted sooooo good. By the time I got to the middle where the curry was I was full. I did eat a couple of teaspoons of it though. I will have dosa for lunch tomorrow. Yay!!!



It was such a huge dosa I had to take a picture with it. I dare you not to take a picture with such a monstrosity! It looks like I'm eating the worlds largest spring roll.


I recommend you go try a dosa even if it's just for the opportunity to post your very own photo on facebook and totally freak out your friends. When I posted mine today I had 8 comments in 5 minutes and two friends made a date to eat there next Monday. The power of the DOSA!

On a side note...

Here is what I made for lunch for the week. Black Beans!! It's my own recipe which basically means I threw a bunch of veggies (onions, garlic, red and orange peppers, carrots and celery) and water and black beans in a pot and simmered it until I remembered I was cooking something. I also added some paprika, cumin, pepper and cayenne pepper. I also accidentally added some cinnamon (a lot actually). When I did a taste test it didn't have any flavour so I added more garlic, some onion powder and some mole paste. Now it taste savoury and spicy. I am happy with it. Mole Black Beans???

So on a crazy day like this (and my days are often like this), I must remember always... go at your own pace. That's why I love this photo. Some days must be slow, some days MUST be fast. Just accept every moment. Bounce Bounce Bounce!




No comments: