Monday, July 29, 2013

More food and fun!

Last week was the last week of summer school. It seems like it went by so fast but if you really think about it summer is half over. Now I can sit back and relax a little and enjoy more fun in the sun. I think the solid schedule made me more productive though.


The week started off with a hike in Lynn Valley. I guess the word hike should be lightly used as it is actually very easy trail walking except for a flight of stairs. It was really fun. Lynn Valley is so different during the summer. It's teeming with people just sitting around on rocks and people watching. There are police men scolding people not to drink in public and men just prancing around in their underwear because they did not bring swimming trunks. Kids are jumping into the canyons and it's just really fun and chill. According to the info center there are plenty of animals that live in every acre of Lynn Valley. We were looking for salamanders and we got lucky. Look! We got a photo of these two very rare creatures before they were able to scuttle away!



I wanted to go to Lynn Valley because I really wanted to see Rice Lake which was not really part of Lynn Valley Park. It is in a very woody area and it's super quiet. Not much is going on here. It's just a quiet lake were you can do some rainbow trout fishing. Apparently the limit is 2 rainbow trout per fisherman. This lake wasn't too exciting but I am glad that I got to see it. I've been curious for a long time. What was interesting was that it was very smoky all around. Then we found out they were shooting "Arrow" in the area. There was filming crew everywhere with smoke machines. It was pretty neat.


Moving on from this... this week I sort of discovered a new love. Ginger beer: not the alcholic type but the soda type. It's sooo good. Some brands are stronger than others. I tried four so far but I only have photo's of Grace and Old Jamaican. The other two I tried were Fentiman's and Old Tyme. My favourite is the Old Jamaican. I had it at the Carribean Festival and it was so refreshing. Sometimes when you drink ginger beer it really hurts like how you have wasabi and it goes up your sinus's but this one brand in particular didn't do that. I wish I knew where I could get some more!






Notable restaurants... THE ONE... Taiwanese fair in Burnaby on Kingsway. The reason why this place is notable is due to the portion size of the food.
That fried rice can feed a family of 4 and it's only 8 dollars... it's pretty good too. It's the fried chicken nugget fried rice. I would definately order it again. They put chinese five spice in the rice too and it gives it a really nice flavour.



Shaved ice... this is huge too. Just make sure you don't add too much syrup because it gets really sweet.


Uhhmm.... yeah.... I know what your thinking.... lol... aside from the obvious it's just a really big slushie. Here is a tip for you if you want to check this restaurant out... bring a jacket... it's really cold in there.


Tokyo Time in Kerrisdale: This is now my new favourite Japanese restaurant. The rolls are just so fresh and tasty. They combine ingredients so well. The separate flavours compliment each other so well. It's a bit pricey though. Special rolls are between $15-$20. However the regular rolls are just as good. I love this place for their negitoro roll. It's the best I've ever tasted. They mix a bit of shiso in there so it has a unique flavour but it's also not to strong.


Black Sesame Crusted Tuna Steak.   This dish is tasty because of the black sesame but it's a bit too pricey for what it is. You can get similar dishes at Guu restaurants for half the price. It did taste very good though.


Vegetarian Gyoza: Tofu, cheese, kale.  For a vegetarian gyoza this dish had a lot of flavour. I wouldn't even mind trying it again.

Indian Summer Roll...



Bloody Winter Roll...

I don't remember what the big roll is but the other two are chopped scallop and negitoro.

All the rolls were good but you also don't have to spend big money on rolls to feel very satisfied. The rolls in the last picture were 5 dollars or less and they were great.

Food cart fest... My favourite thing there...blueberry mojito popsicle from Johnnypops!


And goat curry from the Carribean Fest... a must have if you go there... I wish I knew how to make this.


Sunday night I went to Kit's for dinner and we stayed at the beach for a bit. There were a row of chairs there that had some quotes inscribed into them. This was my favourite one because it's true. There is nothing wrong with being wrong though... just remind yourself you aren't always right...


No comments: