Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Weekend Update

This weekend was relatively busy. Yet Monday comes along and now I can hardly remember what I've done with all that time. Time to reflect.
Went to the park a couple of times this weekend and one time Michelle joined me and brought me some treats. I call one of then the Blow your mind... Goat cheesecake with beet sponge cake. Wahhhh!!! I want more this was so yummy. You can get it at Beta 5 in Vancouver but I heard that they aren't selling cakes in a jar anymore. I hope that still mean s another version of this cake is available.




It is sprinkled with poached pears and comes with a little Baggie of colorful crumble. It's so crunchy. I love this cake THHHHIIIISSSSS much!!! Thank you Michelle for getting me one even though I didn't join the rock climbing cult.
Here is another dessert from Beta 5. It's a sour cherry pistachio cream puff.








So good. I liked the combination of pistachio cream and the sour cherry jelly inside. I would like to visit that bakery and get a bunch of stuff. Apparently they have a stout truffle. Hmmmm... My name is all over that one.
Saturday lunch was at El Camino's. I've blogged about El Camino's many times because we are addicted to the chickpea fries. We were craving chickpea fries for lunch that day but unfortunately they don't have them during the daytime. Who knew? What the! I think they should Never take them off the menu. We had to order brunch instead. They had a wide variety of South American style dishes to choose from.




This is what I ordered. I forget the name if it though. Spicy... A little too spicy for brunch. I ordered this because it had rice and beans and an arepa comes with the meal. However, It didn't appeal to me. Flavours were too strong. I prefer their evening menu more.

Sunday night I hit the night market and tried a couple of snacks. I also did a bit of shopping. There is this jewlery stand that sells knock off jewelry for $5 each. The items look quite convincing. I got a pair of Stella and Dot earrings :)
Snack wise, I think most notable is this French fry corn dog.




Looks like a great idea. It is made with a hotdog dipped in corn-dog batter and then coated with hash-browns and drizzled in ketchup. This was so disappointing. It lacked a lot of flavour. All they had to do was season it a bit and use a better quality hot dog. Unfortunately they didn't.
Here is a dish I have been ordering a lot at the night market. It's their palabok pancit which is a Filipino noodle dish. I love palabok and I can't make it myself. Even though they don't use the traditional fatter noodle for it I am happy I can order this. I like it alot. The sauce is savoury and there is egg and pork in it.




I love the palabok from PinPin on Fraser street though. That was is extra yummy and savoury.




These two are having Mango Sago from Mango Yummy. It's such a good drink! It's made with mango, coconut milk, tapioca and some sort if citrus. Yum!
Don't forget to take a picture with the duckies!



After the night market we went to Cascade for some polenta fries. We were curious about them. They are similar to chick pea fries just a bit crunchier and cheesier. I liked them a lot but you can't eat too many unlike the chick pea fries at El Caminos. However, I had a Pisco Sour there too and their Pisco Sour can give El Caminos a run for their money. It's just as good. I love Pisco Sours. I think they are my favourite drink. We also had onion rings there. The rings had a light batter and came with onion bacon jam and garlic mayo. Nice combo.











Ahhhh... Pisco Sour.

No comments: